An Identity can be used for sending email from your third party email account or it might be used for the backup email on Password Reminder. Either ways, here is how to add a new Identity to your Nili account:
- Visit Setting on the Top Menu;
- Go to Identities;
- Click on + button at the end of the page;
- Fill out required information; (Basic)
- Never use your business email address as a back up! Specially if you are a member of a big brands or organizations (like Government).
- Press Save button;
- Check your backup email inbox and approve the process.
This is enough if you are using Identity for Password Reminder.
The required fields are:
- Display Name: The name you want to call this Identity. It also will be used as your outgoing name. For example if you set your Display Name MYEMAIL, then your recipients will get an email from MYEMAIL. We recommend to use your full name and make it easy to recognize for your recipients.
- Email: can be your Nili ID or a third party email address.
- Organization: This field is optional.
- Reply-To: This field is optional.
- BCC: This field is optional.
- Signature: This field is optional. You can have separate signatures per Identity. You can also add HTML code to add color or font shapes.
External SMTP Settings
Use the default settings (Treat as an alias.): For Nili accounts, leave it checkmarked. It will use the default settings to handle the outgoing emails.
But if you are using a third party email for the Identity, then we recommend to uncheck the default and also add the server information. If you keep the checkmark, Nili will try to send your message out but on behalf of your third party email provider. Some third parties do not accept RELY messages. So your messages might ended up on the junk/spam folder of recipients.
If you uncheck the SMTP settings, then you must add the following information (the third party provider must support SMTP):
- Server IP/Hostname (For encryption use prefix ssl:// or tls://): The full address of the third party SMTP server. For example, Gmail accounts need to type tls://smtp.gmail.com
- Server Port: The port the third party SMTP server. For example, Gmai’s port is 786
- Username or full email address: Your full email address.
- Password: The password related to your email address. (Application password for Gmail)
Important note: if you are using Gmail for your Identity, you can NOT use your password here. If you try, Gmail will block and also it will inform you the prompt as a threat. You need to enter you Gmail Application Password. If you do not have one, grab one HERE.